Thursday, February 09, 2006

Cette Mitzi!

I just watched Ernst Lubitsch's Trouble in Paradise and can't recommend it highly enough. Not only was this a genuinely funny film it was also surprisingly arousing for a movie that's 75 years old. Included in the Criterion Collection DVD was also a German silent film directed by Lubitsch in the Teens. God almighty, the Germans are an ugly nation, and I say this as a proud bearer of their heritage. Every close-up was truly shocking in the new layers of hideousness it revealed in the actors who looked passable in the wide shots. And to think, each one of them was either an emigre, goosestepping or dead within fifteen years.

I also just spoke to the old friend with whom I'd been playing phone tag. He is probably the biggest mensch I know -- a deeply good guy. We concluded that it had been more than three years since we'd actually seen each other which depressed me to no end. It was really good to talk to him about leaving where I'm at since he's been thinking a lot about this in very similar ways. Truth be told, I don't know if any of my old friends, save one or two, really knows what they're up to. I like that. It comforts me -- really reminds me why I want to be close to my friends.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home