Monday, February 13, 2006

New SSN Card

So my Social Security card arrived in the mail in what must be record time. Next stop is either the New York DMV or a driver's safety course, depending on some specifics I need to investigate. All potential fake New York residents should note that it couldn't be simpler to "move" to NYC based on their DMV's website. No gas bill or anything like that -- I just can't move within six months of my CT license issuance date. In this case, it means I can't get a new license until the end of February. Still, I'm well on the way.

On another note, I've been carrying around my fiancee's iPod for a few days. I really thought this would be a liberating time. I would whisk around the city with my chosen soundtrack playing in my ears. But I feel totally conflicted about this new accessory. First, walking along the streets, I feel divorced from my surroundings. I know others have railed against this, but as my current foray into graduate school shows, I don't believe received wisdom, only experienced. Second, I don't know how to resolved the conflict between my public demeanor and my aural experience. I can't very well rock and tap along to my soundtrack unless I want to look like a fool. But at the same time, I'm not used to listening to my own loved music with a mien of stony impassivity. Plus the earbuds hurt like fucking hell. I'm off to the gym where I'll use the new toy in its final arena. We'll see how that goes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home