Thursday, February 16, 2006

Rethink

OK. The iPod was fantastic at the gym where it insulated my mind from my body's pain. Those fucking earbuds still hurt, though.

I just completed my first trip to Huffington Post, a site I've always avoided because these liberal circle-jerks just make me think we're all morons on the left side of the political spectrum. I went because I just found out a friend's father is a semi-regular contributor. This once again recalled my mind to the deathbed scenes from Waugh's Brideshead Revisited. I don't have the text in front of me so I can't quote literally, but at one point, after hearing a news report of Chamberlain's mismanagement of the German situation, Lord Marchmain says, "I knew Chamberlain. Ordinary fellow." My parents, specifically my Dad, and Sadie's father could usually come up with an anecdote or two about many of the important members of the American zeitgeist. We had a friend in London, now sadly deceased, who had known everyone and could tell stories about them grinding cigarette butts into her carpet. I once commented to Sadie that I didn't think anyone we knew would evolve to the next business moguls (sp? I've been watching a lot of Olympics), political bigwigs or social dynamos. I sort of think I would like that to change, but that depends more on Sadie than me. Don't want to go further than this, but keep it all in mind.

1 Comments:

Blogger 8yearoldsdude said...

get the sony earphones that hook over the ear. they aren't as hipster as the whiteys, but the are way comfy and about 5 bucks. I think you will find that if you did know members of the emerging ruling class, that they would be tremendously self-involved jerks. at least that was my impression of those who diverged onto particular roads in the woods after undergrad.

1:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home